Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Alive & Walkin'...

For those of you keeping tabs, all the neigh-sayers, the got-your-back supporters and even those who just stumbled onto this blog thinking that the title of this post meant something a little more sinister... it's update time.

Back in February, I blogged about my Healthy Lifestyle Change. I started, as you may recall, the beginning of January (conveniently my first day back at work after the looonnngggg holiday) to change my eating habits and make better choices.

Well, faithful readers, I HAVE NOT swayed from this path! That's right... I'm still kickin' it HLC style! I haven't had fast food in 14+ weeks & have only had one soft drink. Can I get a 'hell yeah'????

I didn't know if I had the willpower... Seriously, there were many days when I didn't think I would be able to drive by McDonald's without stopping in for fries!... but somehow, i found the gumpshun within me to do it.

Fessing up:
I can admit that I have had french fries, but I don't eat them all - & not from a fast food restaurant.
I also have not always made the best choice for meals, but I am much better at balancing the options throughout the day.
I do eat breakfast every morning - during the week.
I have had ice cream (what a weakness), but only 2 times. The rest it's straight-up frozen yogurt!

Yeah, that's the damage. That's all I can fess up to. I'm not perfect & I don't think it would do me any good to pretend that i was, but I am really proud of my 14 weeks 'sober'.

I also mentioned in February that I'd be walking the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in May with my family. If you'll take a quick peek at your calendar - i'll wait - you'll notice that it's just a month away! OMG! Just how am I going to perform when faced with 3.1 miles ahead of me??? I am in NOT a walker, runner or someone who gets her rocks off from exercise. But then again, there was no way I am going to be the one they are pushing (or dragging) to the finish line.

Come on - 3 itty bitty little miles??? I can do that!

Can't I?

I wasn't so sure. I needed to confirm this for myself. Unfortunately the only way to do this was to... walk.

WHOA IS ME!

So last Friday I strapped on my Zune (for you iPod people, that would be the Microsoft MP3 player), leashed up O and headed out the door for parts unknown... you know, around the neighborhood.

While O was an eager walking companion, I don't think he was sharing that vibe with me. I made it about a mile & was never so happy to see my abode in the distance (I think I might have even hallucinated it when I wasn't close to it). It was only a mile, but it was more than I'd walked the day before... & it was 1/3 of the distance I have to complete for the 5k.

You know, I think I might be able to do this...

And to prove it to myself, I have walked 10 miles since then with the longest distance being 2.5 miles.

Good thing I have a few more weeks... I'm almost there. ALMOST.

No comments: