Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What color is my thumb?

Last year I had the great idea to use part of the backyard & create a garden area. Cop'er & I went to Home Depot, got the supplies, dug out the area, pulled the weeds. I even let Cop'er play with the electrical tools... We planted tomatoes, watermelon, cucumbers, peppers and herbs.

I had the best intentions - really i did! The long, hot summer wore on... the rain was less frequent; oddly, so was the watering from me.

I admit I was disappointed. The only place in the yard that we had space to put the garden didn't offer enough sunlight for the poor plants. They just didn't perform well. It was a loss. Very sad. I really wanted homegrown veggies!

This year I decided to try a different approach. I bought seeds & planted the seeds in  little containers & am currently growing them in the garage. I went out there a few days ago to water them & little tiny sprouts were working their way out of the dirt.

I went out there yesterday & they were growing like weeds - which they aren't, because we didn't plant those.


In just a short while, I'll be able to separate them into their own pots. I'd like to have enough to share with family & friends... but I don't want to get my hopes up. I know things can go horribly wrong in the blink of an eye. Things go from green... to... gone!

No comments: