Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Day at the Movies

I don't know if you know this about me, but I'm pretty competitive. However, not at sports. I'm all about intellectual and creative competition. This past week we had the '1st Annual Oscars Guessing Game' - or something like that. All i knew was it gave me the opportunity to put my thoughts on who would win the 'big 6 Oscars' out there & put me in the midst of a competition. What could be better?

The 'big 6 Oscars' would be:
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actress
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress

I'm sure you have heard of a little (highest grossing ever) movie called "Avatar." This little movie was expected to sweep several of the big awards including Best Picture & Best Director - they do kind of go hand-in-hand!

By the Saturday night deadline, I had submitted the following selections for my winners:
Best Picture - Avatar
Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow
Best Actress - Sandra Bullock
Best Actor - Jeff Bridges
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique

Eager to see how i did on the results, i stayed up waaayyyy past my bedtime (it was the Oscars, after all. They never end on time!).I was hootin' & hollerin' from my perch every time a new winner on my list was named. In the end, I was quite pleased with myself & a little braggy about the fact that i named 5 of the 6 winners!!!! That's right... who knew I was that good???

Ok, i guess it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I have this other "freaky" thing that i can do. Whenever anyone asks me to guess a quantity, for example, "Guess how much these shoes cost?"

I say: "$63"

Inevitably, a shocked look comes across their face and they divulge what i already knew... i was within $2 of the correct price. I think it takes a little wind out of their sail.

This has happened to me with my boss, Ka-Kuh, (not his real name. duh.), Cop'er, and several others. I think i might finally be harnessing the psychic powers we all (are said to) have. It's just a matter of time until i know what you are thinking without you having to say a word.

BTW, if you were wondering how the rest of my office faired... I was the winner.

No comments: