Friday, August 31, 2007

Mexicans

I know what you are thinking... I'm about to say something negative about Mexican descendents. I'm not going to do that - it would be wrong!

Hey - I'm not one to complain about them, though. I love their food! Who knew that free chips & salsa could be the best appetizer out there? (yes, Mom, I know they are bad for you!) Really, what's not to love?

Upon deeper reflection, I think I should have been born into their culture. They are passionate about everything - their families, their country, their heritage. They seem to live life to the fullest in everything they do. I believe the saying "Work hard, Play hard" might have been made for the Latino community.

Let's not forget other aspects of Mexican culture --- Cozumel. Aaron & I stopped there on our most recent cruise. It was last port of call for that trip & by far the best of the 4. You can't get much better than free drinks at a beachside resort overlooking blue caribbean water. I know it is literally another country, but it really seems to be more like another world. (Granted, I was snapped back into reality when I saw all the mexican blankets & somberos for sale in one place.)

After chilling on the beach, we managed to find the shopping area (right next to the dock, not too much looking involved) and wove through many a quaint little shop offering any number of mexican tchotchkes. I know you are thinking it was the cheesy t-shirt with the half-naked woman that caught my husband's eye... but you'd be wrong. It was the little bar, tucked away between the shops with the naughty little t-shirts, that caused Aaron to stray from my side. 2 CORONAS & 2 SHOTS OF TEQUILA FOR $4!?!?! Now, that's a bargain! Obviously this would have been a big hit back home & we tried to pack some as souvenirs, but it didn't work out. I hope everyone understands why consumption on the spot was necessary.

After the adventures in Mexico, the only thing to do upon return to the cruise ship was --- take part in a siesta. I think those Mexicans really have something there...

No comments: