Thursday, July 22, 2010

Open Letters to My Family

Mi madre mom has always, since my sisters & I were old enough to stay home alone when they travel, written us notes, letters, emails to tell us how much she loves us. I think it might be something to remind us that no matter what happens, she loves us & we know that’s the last thing she was thinking about when they left for vacation. You know the sentimentality behind that – no regrets.

I have done my fair share of traveling, as we’ve talked about before. I don’t leave letters, unless you count the notes for the pet sitter. I don’t think it’s going to make her feel all warm & fuzzy inside though. Not that I’m mean or anything, but I don’t sign them ‘Love.’

My folks are leaving on a trip to Seattle & Vancouver the same time Cop’er & I will be in Puerto Rico & my sisters will be here in town. So, to switch things up, I’m going to write letters to them as my ‘parting thoughts’.
Dear Madre & Padre-
It seems as though you have decided you can’t stay in town when I’m not here. I totally understand. Hope you enjoy your time away. Try not to think about me too much, you’ll get homesick and the whole trip out west would be a waste. Since you know my tastes, I won’t rehash the kinds of things you should bring back for me, but know I am looking forward to receiving them! It’s a real downer that you won’t be here to check on my house & the ‘kids’ though… I’ll have to pawn that off on a sister.

Have fun on your trip & we’ll compare vacation notes when you get back! Ok, I’ll let Cop’er tell you about HIS vacation.

Love, your firstborn, the light of your life, the best thing that ever happened to you.

Dear Sister Fantanimal -
Thanks for watching my youngest child. You know he’s a little troublemaker, but when you look at the face, it all goes out the window. Try not to let those big dogs eat him, stomp on him, or use him like a stuffed toy. For the most part, I like him in one piece.

Also, thanks for coming to check on my other kids. I’m sure Moodles is going to talk your ear off. He doesn’t like so much alone time, so bring a book & humor him for a while.

Lastly, I have a pool that needs cleaning & tomato plants that need water. Can you see to those things too? If this works out, you might get a little treat upon my arrival home. Of course, this all depends on Lil Guy still being in one piece & Moodles not keeping me on my first night back talking about how you didn’t give him any quality time.

XOXO
Your favorite sister, the one who paved the way for your cushy life with mom & dad.
Dear Sister KidEduc8r & family -
Since you have been on vacation already, I’m sure the absence of myself & Cop’er will go unnoticed as you kick back at home with your residual relaxed feelings… However, we’ll be gone for 9 days & by then you’ll be all tense again.

If you want to use the pool while we are gone, please leave a small donation on the counter. This will cover the large amounts of water that will need to be replaced after my nephews shoot their water guns.

Buenas Noches,
Your favorite sister, the one who allowed for your early escape from parental oversight.

No comments: