Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oh the packing…

Before I start talking about the packing, I just wanted to talk about the new Windows Live Writer that I downloaded. It’s supposed to allow me to different things on my blog. Right now, it’s letting me change my font to Century Gothic – it’s my current fave. I even use it for my emails at work. So far, I’m liking this Writer thing!

So, back to the topic at hand… packing. Cop’er & I like to travel. We’ve been traveling since the first year we were together. Some of the places we’ve been include: Las Vegas; Sedona; Flagstaff; San Francisco; Napa Valley; Half Moon Bay, CA; Miami; New Orleans; Myrtle Beach; Outer Banks; Chicago; New York; Dover; Mexico; Guatemala; Belize; St. Thomas; St. Lucia; and the Bahamas.

Once upon a time I was the world’s WORST packer. I’m not talking about fitting all the suitcases in the car (I’m great at that!). I’m talking about how-much-can-you-stuff-in-your-suitcase packing. I used to pack the kitchen sink, because, let’s face it, you never know when you are going to need that!

There are several things in previous years that have required me to change the way I pack. One of the things is the weight limit imposed on flights. I can’t cram as much in there anymore because that would me I have to PAY for it! No, not going to happen. As a matter of fact, Cop’er & I have been known to make shifts in luggage at the counter just to avoid paying extra!

The other thing that’s happened over the years is that I have traveled more. While I have taken vacations with Cop’er while we’ve been together, my last 2 jobs have required me to travel to conferences. When you have to pack for both business & fun while you are gone and knowing you have a weight limit imposed on your suitcase, it really makes you think about what’s going in there!

For example, when I first started traveling to conferences where I was one of the staff, I’d take the exact number of suits I needed for the time I was there. Now, I take mix & match pants & jackets (2 max) with different shirts. Shoes for work are down to 2 pair, unless there is more formal attire needed.

Even knowing all these things – the hotel has shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc; you aren’t going to be in the middle of nowhere, you can buy what you need; you can wash something in the sink if you need to… it doesn’t stop me from having a quandary every time it comes to packing.

Currently I’m starting to pack for my 9 day trip to San Juan next week. Cop’er & I are arriving 2.5 days before I have to report for work, so i have to have casual clothes for sightseeing & just hanging out; clothes for work (4.5 days); clothes for the 2 dressier nights of the conference; clothes for the remainder of my time there before we fly home (another 1.5 days).

There is a small perk with traveling for work – i can add another suitcase if I need to. I usually do since I have to pack those ‘last minute’ things from the office that don’t make the shipment with the rest of our conference items.

I know in the scheme of life this is a problem lots of people would like to have. So, for now, I think I’ll just continue to work through my issues… Happy Travels!

No comments: