Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Toys are Fun!

Some say i really didn't need it... I didn't listen to them. I jumped on it. I bought a new camera. That shiny new Nikon D-3000 is ALL MINE. This camera is just a prop for my New Year's Resolution (see my last entry for more info). I am going to, if it kills me, be more creative! I have a minor in photography - it's time to dust off those skills & see what I'm made off.

I keep seeing all these gorgeous pictures on people's blogs - full of color, life & depth of field. For those of you who don't know "depth of field," that would be when your photo  has a clear subject and a blurry background or vice versa. You just can't get that with a point & shoot, so I'm moving up in the world to a DSLR (digital single lens reflex).

I guess technically this is a move back up to a SLR. After all, i used one in college - it's how i learned to shoot and create with a camera. I didn't realize how much i missed it until i saw what other people were doing. I'm sure that's some sort of jealousy, right?? Or maybe it's the knowledge that i KNOW i can do it! I can take those pics too! I can shoot something other than what everyone else out there with a point & shoot can do!

So, i'm practicing... relearning what 'aperture', 'shutter speed', 'f-stop' -- the list goes on -- means.
i don't have too many willing subjects, so i have to MAKE people sit for a second. This would be Cop'er, Sister Fantanimal and nephew Ry-guy.

Then we have those models who won't sit still, won't keep their eyes open, won't sit, lay, roll over or beg.


Syd-ums


Lil' Guy


Jakester

Then we have an even more impossible grouping of models...

Moodles


Roxy Ann

Eventually I tired of chasing these guys around the house. They were not having any parts of this new "toy" & wanted the flashing light to stop blinding them. Hey, that's fine... I'll find other things to shoot.



See... SOME things don't mind when i make them the center of my attention.


I won't lie... there are about 100 other images that i didn't post in this blog, but a girl's gotta start somewhere, right? I'm getting a little better, dusting the cobwebs off and exercising my pointer finger.

I have a feeling this toy is going to be around for a while.

No comments: