Sunday, May 16, 2010

The ROXY FILES

I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted something! Where does time go? I think it was all a blur after Monday, when I got the news from the veterinary surgeon about Roxyann. He told us that it was cancer; it was very invasive & was down into her eye, her cranium & pushing her brain slightly.

Talk about devastating news! I was crushed. I held it together long enough to talk to the surgeon on what he thought could, should, would be done at this stage. After our conversation, I let Cop'er know the results & all we could do was keep her happy.

I came home & loved on my lil girl... Roxyann has been with me a long time. I adopted her & her 'brother', Riley, from the SPCA a few months after I purchased my first house. Riley was diagnosed with FIP when he was still a kitten (for those of you who don't know, FIP is an incurable, spreadable disease that strikes the nervous system). I had to put Riley to sleep the day after Christmas, just a mere 3.5 months after I adopted him.

Roxyann became an 'only child' for the next 6 months. She learned how to fetch like a champ, loved the attention of all who walked in the door and ruled the house with her playful ways. The chance to be an only child was short-lived, as it was never my intention to only have one cat. I wanted 2 so they could play together & keep each other company.

Welcome, Moodles. It was me, Moodles & Roxyann for several years after that... living in our house and keeping each other entertained.

I've had both Roxyann & Moodles longer than I've known Cop'er... there's something to be said for all that we have been through together. They have definitely helped keep me sane, listening & loving just when I've needed it.

I received another call on Friday from the 1st vet we talked to (who referred us to the surgeon) about Roxyann. She called Miss Priss a "miracle kitty"... She also suggested that we make an appointment to see an oncologist in Northern VA about Roxyann. In conversation with her about the ROXY FILES, it was mentioned that radiation therapy might be an alternative. (We originally asked the surgeon about this, but he said it would likely blind her-not an effect we were willing to do to her). While I don't know that the oncologist is going to have a 'cure' for our kitty, Cop'er & I agreed that a conversation about it couldn't hurt. I'll be calling in the morning to see when they can fit us in.

Did I mention that Roxyann will have to travel in the car for 2 hrs there & 2 hours back??? I might be the in the crate after that!

No comments: